• 1. How do I make an appointment with my counselor?

    Students must come to Student Services before 7:50 am on Monday, Wednesday or Friday
    mornings. There is a sign-up sheet available for each counselor. Students write their name
    in a time slot that works for them and their counselor. Then students are given a hall pass
    for that period by the secretary.

    2. What is the role of a counselor?

    Counselors support the overall well-being of students. They are advisors and advocates for students. Counselors support students academically through course selection, overseeing graduation requirements, and individual consultation. Students are encouraged to seek out their counselor when dealing with personal and social/emotional issues that are interfering with their performance in school and overall functioning. Counselors also provide information and advice about post high school planning and career exploration.

    3. What is the role of the college/career counselor?

    The college counselor provides comprehensive post high school planning for students and their families. The college counselor assists with the college search process, college applications, financial aid, scholarships, NCAA eligibility for athletes, SAT/ACT prep, local job opportunities, and career information.

    4. What are core courses?

    All freshmen, sophomores, and juniors must register for 4 core classes each semester which are in the areas of English, mathematics, science, and social science. Seniors are required to take a full year of English, one semester of government, and three semesters of senior core electives. Senior core electives must be in the areas of English, mathematics, science, social science, foreign language, or the Lake County High School Technology Campus.

    5. What is the minimum and maximum number of classes?

    The minimum class load is 6 classes each semester. Students with 6 classes are able to have a study hall in their schedule. The maximum class load is 7 classes each semester which would not allow room for a study hall.

    6. What is a GPA?

    GPA stands for Grade Point Average. All students receive a cumulative GPA at the end of each semester. Each letter grade receives a point value. All point values received throughout high school are averaged together in order to compute the cumulative GPA. Students who are interested in attending a four year college should strive for a 3.0 GPA which is a "B" average in regular and advanced level classes. More information on calculating GPA is available through the "Academic Planning" link.

    7. What are credits?

    Students receive 0.5 credit for each semester class passed. For example, if a student passes 6 classes during first semester, then he/she would receive 3.0 credits for that semester. The only exception is Driver Education which receives 0.25 credit. For any class failed, no credit is given. Students must reach 23.75 total credits for graduation.

    8. What are progress reports?

    Grades are distributed multiple times throughout the year. The school year is divided into two main segments called semesters. At the end of semester 1 (January) and semester 2 (June) credits and GPA are calculated. Throughout each semester, progress reports and mid-term grades are given, but they are not final grades and are not used to calculate credits and GPA. The following grades are distributed throughout the school year: Progress Report 1 (September), Mid-term 1 (October), Progress Report 2 (December), Semester 1 (January), Progress Report 3 (February), Mid-term 3 (March), Progress Report 4 (April), and Semester 2 (June).

    9. What is the deadline for dropping a class?

    Within the first six weeks of a semester, students can drop a class without penalty. Students may not be able to add a replacement course which means they will likely be placed in a study hall. Students must also make sure they meet the minimum class load requirement when thinking of dropping a course.

    10. How many years of world language should I take?

    Although world language is not required as a ZBTHS graduation requirement, college bound students should consider taking at least two years of the same world language. Many colleges either require or recommend high school world language for admission. In addition, many colleges require world language as part of their college graduation requirements. Completing world language in high school and receiving satisfactory grades can potentially meet the college world language requirement. World language requirements for admission and graduation vary depending on the specific college. Click here for information on Illinois state university world language requirements. In summary, taking more years of a world language and receiving high grade marks can be beneficial for students.

    11. How do I receive a PE waiver?

    PE waivers are available for students involved in Band, ROTC, or a varsity sport. Band students can receive a PE waiver for first semester because of marching band. ROTC students can receive a PE waiver both first and second semester. Juniors and seniors who participate in a varsity sport can receive one PE waiver. Fall athletes can receive a PE waiver first semester, winter athletes can receive a PE waiver either first or second semester, and spring athletes can receive a PE waiver second semester. Freshmen and sophomores are not able to receive an athletic PE waiver. In order to receive an athletic PE waiver, students must fill out a PE waiver form which is available in the Athletic Office. Students are not able to "double up" by taking a PE class and receiving a PE waiver.

    12. How does pass/fail work?

    In order to encourage students to explore areas of interest that might otherwise be avoided, a pass-fail course option is offered. Pass-fail options generally benefit those students who fear a low grade might affect their GPA and/or class rank, those who are apprehensive about taking a very difficult subject, and those whose fears about grades interfere with their ability to learn. Pass-fail subjects will count for credits towards graduation, but will not be used in computing GPA or class rank. The following are pass-fail options available: physical education and one elective course per semester. Pass-fail forms are available in Student Services and must be completed within the first six weeks of the semester. More pass-fail information is available through the "Academic Planning" link.

    13. How do I receive early release/late arrival?

    In order for a student to be granted early release or late arrival, the following criteria must be met: junior or senior, cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, on track to graduate with his/her original class, and must be in "good standing" in the Dean's Office with no major disciplinary infractions. If all of these criteria are met, then an early release/late arrival form can be picked up in Student Services. Students can only receive either early release OR late arrival. They cannot receive both.